Moving from homelessness to stable housing.
Start Me Up Niagara partners with Out of the Cold St. Catharines to deliver a hostel program during the coldest months of the year. Out of the Cold welcomes, feeds and shelters all who come each night. Start Me Up Niagara provides an onsite outreach worker to link individuals to support services offered at its drop-in centre or the community with the goal of finding stable housing.
Out of the Cold is a faith community initiative that has been helping the homeless and hungry in our community since 1996. It is able to provide these services through the generosity of the hosting churches, community donations and the effort of many dedicated volunteers. In 2013 the Region of Niagara began contributing financially towards the operation of this much needed service.
Out of the Cold is open from November 1 to March 31. Hot meals are served everyday at various host churches (listed below) from 6pm to 7:30pm. Overnight shelter is located at Westminster Church every night from 8:00pm to 7:30am
- Sunday Meal is served at Knights of Columbus Church, 235 Church Street
- Monday Meal is at Silver Spire United Church, 366 St. Paul Street
- Tuesday Meal is served at Roman Catholic Cathedral of St. Catherine, 3 Lyman Street
- Wednesday Meal is at St. George’s Anglican Church, 83 Church Street
- Thursday Meal is served at St. Alfred Roman Catholic Church, 272 Vine Street
- Friday Meal is at Knox Presbyterian Church, 53 Church Street
- Saturday Meal is served at Queen Street Baptist Church, 57 Queen Street
Information about Out of the Cold can be obtained by calling Start Me Up Niagara at 905-984-5310.
Start Me Up Niagara provides a variety of programs through its Outreach Centre designed to assist individuals to access community resources and develop the skills necessary to retain housing. Our comprehensive range of homeless prevention services are individualized, self-directed and easily accessed.
Start Me Up Niagara’s housing preservation program works to break the cycle of homelessness for people who have experienced frequent episodes of homelessness and those who are at risk of losing their housing.
Housing Preservation services include:
- Assistance with landlord issues
- Help accessing available community supports
- One on one individualized support
- Finding the right housing option
- Working with landlords and prospective tenants to make the right match
For housing preservation services contact Start Me Up Niagara Housing services at 905-984-5310