Housing First Support Worker
As the Housing First Support Worker you will work directly with individuals who are homeless or at high risk of homelessness to access and maintain safe, appropriate housing.
• Work directly with individuals to secure and retain housing
• Manage rent payments, housing subsidies and Housing First mandated requirements
• Build and maintain relationships with network of landlords
• Connect individuals to community supports, including housing related benefits, healthcare, mental health/ addiction supports, income maximization (taxes, benefits, banking, etc.)
• Maintain fidelity to Housing First Principles including individualized planning, goal setting.
• Provide referrals to appropriate community resources and follow up to build effective wrap around support system
• Maintain accurate statistical information, reports and case notes
• Work in accordance with agency philosophy of service and specific program goals
The successful candidate is a confident, non-judgmental, energetic, and persistent team player who has:
• A post-secondary degree or diploma
• Knowledge of mental health and addiction issues
• Understanding of client focused and directed service
• Solid knowledge about community resources, harm reduction, housing and income benefits
• Demonstrated creative problem solving ability
• Experience in social services or related field
• Ability to organize caseload, maintain records and case notes
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Demonstrated ease with a diverse population
• Team player
• Willingness to go the extra mile.
Additional Requirements: Willing to transport clients in personal vehicle and have access to a safe road worthy vehicle during working hours. A driver’s abstract acceptable to SMUN, proof of $ 2,000,000 vehicle liability coverage and a vulnerable persons’ police clearance certificate will be requested after the job offer.
Location: St. Catharines
Hours: 70 hours over two-week period.
Start Date: mid-January. Term: One year with possibility of renewal
Starting salary: $20 per hour with health benefits after 90 days
Applications by December 29, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Start Me Up Niagara thanks all who apply for their interest but only those considered for an interview will be contacted. We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us.